The first village you come to when entering Hatteras Island from the north, Rodanthe is located approximately 10 miles south of Oregon Inlet and sits adjacent to the scenic Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. Locally known as one of the "Tri-Villages" as it is clustered together with adjoining villages Waves and Salvo, Rodanthe is also the home to our northern-most check-in office, where the triad's avid fan base frequent year after year for their Hatteras Island vacation.
Part of the original Chicamacomico Settlement, Rodanthe houses the original Hatteras lifesaving station, which was built in 1874 and converted into a boathouse when the new station was built in 1911. The brave men of the U.S. Lifesaving Service, the forerunner of the Coast Guard, protected the island's northern coast, battling raging seas to save sailors who were shipwrecked in storms. The Chicamacomico Station is one of the island's most famous and is the only one open to the public. The grounds are open all year, and the building is open during the summer months. Beach apparatus drills are also reenacted during the island's in-season.