2020 was the year of the vacation rental. Last year, many people in the US changed their travel habits, and in many cases, vacation rentals were put into the spotlight as the "safer" way to travel, compared to hotels, cruises, traveling abroad, etc. And even though Midgett Realty is lucky to have a very loyal group of repeat guests who visit our homes on Hatteras Island year after year, we welcomed a large number of first-time vacation rental guests this last year as well.
If you are new to vacation rentals, and considering this wonderful type of accommodation for the first time, we hope that this guide gives you the confidence you need to plan a Hatteras getaway with Midgett Realty!
What's Provided and What to Bring
It's important to remember that vacation rentals are usually stocked with only the most basic household items, so you will still want to bring many of the daily necessities along with you.
- Standard amenities (unless otherwise stated in the property description), which include central air conditioning/heat, washer/dryer, dishwasher, and wireless internet
- Basic dinnerware, drinkware, flatware and serveware for the occupancy of the home
- Basic cookware such as pots and pans, ovenware, and casserole dishes
- Cleaning tools such as a vacuum, broom, mop, and plunger
- Blankets and pillows for each bed (check your lease agreement to determine if your house offers a linens package with sheets and towels)
- TV with live broadcasting (cable, satellite, or live streaming)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Paper products such as paper towels, toilet paper, disposables
- Cleaning products such as laundry supplies, dish detergent, and sponges
- All food products including condiments and spices
- Sheets and towels (unless your rental includes a linens package--check your lease agreement for details)
- Specialty cookware. Crockpots, electric griddles, woks, and other specialty cookware is recommended in some cases, but not required. Should a non-required item break prior to arrival or during your stay, it will not be replaced unless the homeowner chooses to do so.
- Charcoal and other supplies for outdoor grilling
- Beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, and toys are not provided unless they are listed under the amenities section on the property page.
- Baby equipment such as highchairs, baby gates, and pack ‘n’ plays are not provided unless they are listed under the amenities section on the property page.
- Flashlights and batteries
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Toiletries, medicines, sunscreen
- DVDs and games
While planning for your Hatteras Island beach vacation, be sure to consult your lease agreement (or property page) to confirm whether or not your property provides a linens package. We know how quickly the car can fill up when packing for a week-long beach vacation, so we also offer an a la carte linens rental service to make your trip hassle-free, and to prevent your car from becoming a game of Tetris!
Trash Collection Schedule:
Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo: Tuesday, Friday
Avon: Tuesday, Friday
Buxton: Monday, Thursday
Frisco: Monday, Thursday
Hatteras: Monday, Thursday
For information on recycling, click here.
Staying at a vacation rental is a bit different from a hotel, in that there are some extra responsibilities when you check-out. Cleaning an entire home and prepping it for the next guests can be a lot of work, and it is customary with all vacation rentals to tidy up a bit at check-out and help with some small tasks. These required responsibilities include:
- Vacuum and sweep all flooring
- Clean out refrigerator(s)
- Wash and put away all dishes
- Take out all trash (take can to street, lid opening facing highway)
- Tidy up pool area, decks, and yard (clean up all pet waste)
- If beds were pre-made do not strip beds. For linens rented, place in bin provided put under house in carport area.
- Remove all personal electronics, charging devices, medications, etc.
- Lock all windows and doors
Often when you stay at a hotel, there are daily activities to keep the group busy, and a concierge to help plan adventures. Midgett Realty is family-owned and operated by locals who have lived on Hatteras Island for generations. We know and love this beautiful island, and there's nothing we like more than sharing it with our guests! Our Hatteras Guide offers everything from recommended activites, to an event calendar, a blog, and top things to do on Hatteras Island.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have questions about Vacation Rentals or about staying with Midgett Realty, our FAQs page is a good resource. This will provide additional info about arriving after our office has closed, what the homes are equipped with, parking and pet policies, fishing licenses, and more. Our Vacation Rental Policies also provides a great deal of information, and will set you up for success in staying with us for the first time.
Protect Your Stay with Travel Insurance
We've all learned the importance of preparing for the unexpected, especially when it comes to travel. Maintain your peace of mind by purchasing travel insurance when you book your vacation rental.
We have partnered with InsureStays via RentalGuardian.com to provide coverage for our guests. The cost for Standard Travel Protection is 7% x trip cost.
Advance Year Reservations
Advance year reservations are booked as regular guest reservations and will be charged a 10% NON-REFUNDABLE advance fee of the reservation total (rent, extras and taxes) to be paid within three days of booking. Advanced reservations are not eligible for travel insurance. Travel insurance will be sold when the lease is sent in early October. An advance year email letter will be sent, which will require a signature. Advance reservation fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and will be applied to the total cost of the reservation. Cancellations or switching of homes will invoke the cancellation policy. Cancellations must be in writing and it is the tenant's responsibility to confirm the cancellation has been completed. Once cancelled, if re-rented, the tenant shall receive a refund less any difference in rate paid by the new reservation, less $250.00 cancellation fee, and all applicable taxes within 45 days AFTER the property has re-rented and been secured by payment (regardless of initial method of payment). However, if the unit is not re-rented, there will not be a refund of the advance fee.
2021 guests have priority to rent the same house for the same week in 2022. These priority reservations must be made by the close of business on Wednesday of the first week of your stay. Otherwise, properties are released for reservation on a first request basis. On-line reservations will also be taken, up to 51 weeks in advance.
IMPORTANT: The week(s) the guest is booked in for this year is the numbered week they can reserve for the following year. We cannot shift their week regardless of corresponding arrival and departure dates for the following year. Exceptions are not granted for floating holidays.