If we’ve said it once, we’ve said it a million times, and you know what? It still rings true. There are a TON of exciting and adventurous things to do on Hatteras Island. There are, of course, the obvious museums, shops, eats and so on, but for your 2017 beach vacation, we want you to rock the lid off, so we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 things to do this summer while visiting Hatteras Island.
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO ON YOUR 2017 HATTERAS ISLAND BEACH VACATION
1. A Yoga Class with Hatteras Yoga. New for 2017, Hatteras Yoga is now offering a slew of kids classes (some of which feature live music) in addition to their regularly scheduled sessions and workshops for adults. Outside of the studio? They also offer private and beach yoga sessions. Dooo it!
2. A Trip to Shelly Island. Let me preface this with a giant roll of yellow caution tape. Because of the crazy strong currents that whip through Cape Point, it is NOT RECOMMENDED that visitors swim or wade over to Shelly Island. This is something that is best accessed by experienced kayakers and paddle boarders that are using the appropriate floatation devices. Even then, familiarize yourself with a tide chart and go at low tide when currents aren’t terribly strong and the water isn’t too deep. That being said, there are also various captains on the island that are providing charters to the nationally recognized sandbar. However you get can get there safely, do it, it’s totally worth it. Travel bloggers world-wide will be drooling over your Instagram pics!
3. A Full Moon Climb. Cape Hatteras Lighthouse provides visitors with the unique opportunity to climb the beautiful 257 steps by the light of the full moon, but use haste, there are only 2 left for the 2017 season. Per the NPS, “Full Moon Tours are a great way to experience this historic structure as the light keepers would have on their nightly watches. Rangers guiding the tours will share stories of keepers of old and give climbers a rare peak at the working light in the lantern room. On a clear night, the full moon rising over the Atlantic Ocean is a breathtaking site.” Check here for the schedule and other important info.
4. A Pottery Class. Kinnakeet Clay Studio and Showroom offers fun little classes at their location in Avon on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Choose between “Mugs and Bowls” and “Fairy Houses” and go solo or in a group for a couple hours of creative fun.
5. Charter Boat Fishing. Hatteras Landing features two marinas—Hatteras Landing Marina and Teach’s Lair Marina. Both provide a variety of different charters from full-day offshore to half-day inshore to nighttime flounder gigging to booze cruises and clamming/shelling trips. Check out their offerings here and give their respective captains a call to book a trip during your stay on Hatteras Island.
BONUS: Since it’s not technically on Hatteras Island, we’re including this little gem as a bonus: H2OBX Waterpark. New to the Outer Banks, H2OBX is located 3 miles north of the Wright Memorial Bridge and includes more than 30 rides and slides with even more fun for the entire family! Don't forget, Midgett Realty guests get a $10 per ticket discount off of the retail rate!