A holiday table isn’t complete without a vegetable or two. For those who don’t do collards, give cabbage, its more subtle green counterpart, a try!
Boiled Cabbage Recipe:
1 Head of Cabbage, Cored and Quartered
5 Strips of Bacon
¼ tsp Onion Powder
Pinch Baking Soda
1. Fry the bacon in the bottom of a stock pot or Dutch oven.
2. Add enough chicken broth to the cooked bacon and grease to fill the pan about an inch from the bottom (adding too much broth will make cabbage soupy). Bring broth to a boil.
3. Add the cored and quartered cabbage to boiling broth.
4. Sprinkle in Baking Soda and Onion Powder.
5. Cook cabbage until tender.
6. Salt and Pepper to taste.
PS: If you want to add some homemade cornmeal dumplings to go a little further, find the recipe here.